Twenty Tips on What Makes A Good Blog
Here is the GenealogyInTime Magazine 20-point list of what makes a good blog:
1. Original Content - All blog content can be divided into two categories: content creation and content distribution. Content creation is original written material unique to the blog. Content distribution is basically redistributing information from other sources. The best blogs always have a significant amount of original content.
2. Distinctive Voice - A good blog should have a distinctive voice. The voice is essentially a combination of the style of writing plus the focus of the content. This is what gives a good blog a unique personality. For example, a blog that specializes in tracing Scottish ancestors should inspire people to research their Scottish ancestors.
3. See a Need, Fill a Need – Blogs can be written about anything. However, if there are 100 blogs on the same topic, then how is your 101st blog going to be any different? Look for a unique angle.
4. Quality of Writing - Good blogs are well written. No one wants to read content that is full of obvious grammatical and stylistic errors.
5. Use Proper Headlines – A good headline is succinct and to the point. Unless you are a master of wordplay, consider saving the quirky headlines for the quirky blogs.
6. Regular Updates - Blogs require regular updates. Daily updates are not required (in fact that can often be too much). Updates a couple of times a week are the norm and even once a week is fine provided the content is high quality.
7. Avoid Filler Material – Your reader’s time is valuable. Don’t waste it. Keep everything short and to the point.
8. Quality over Quantity – The internet is full of quantity. What the internet lacks is good quality. The best blogs provide quality first and foremost.